Slow cooker hearty quinoa and vegetable stew
Sometimes I hold off on blog posts just because I’m waiting for something to say. If not necessarily something particularly profound, then helpful, or at least something anecdotal I want to remember. At times I forget that a blog is not a diary (sorry). Usually weaving thoughts with recipes just happens, so much emotion being poured into the planning and sharing of food. And aside from running time, cooking is often when I get my most clear-headed, relaxed thinking done.
But sometimes I really just want to remember the recipe. That’s the whole point…which shouldn’t be so hard to accept for a food blog. I suppose some of the hesitance comes from the fact that so little has been innovative about my recipe postings lately. Yet, without being novel, they’re useful, and I do still suffer enough from occasional (?) Baby Brain that I regularly benefit from writing even the simplest things down.
SO here we go. The picture’s a little blurry, and as far as the recipe goes, you can really wing it however you like. It doesn’t have to be cooked in the slow cooker, of course. I just live by the slow cooker right now. But you can do this in a stock pot. You can change the vegetables and the seasonings. You can add the quinoa whenever you like. You can have fun. 🙂
This is rich and hearty, and packed with super plant-protein and fabulous phytonutrients and antioxidants from all the vegetables and the quinoa. My only issue is, I’ve really got to start exploring some slow cooker and vegetarian meals that are more company worthy. We’ve been eating increasingly vegan (without committing to being vegans), and I don’t have much of a repertoire of elegant(ish) vegetarian dishes that are not time-intensive. Let me know if you’ve got some favorites? In the meantime, I’ll get to some efficient experiments. More soon. 🙂
Hearty slow cooker quinoa and vegetable stew
- Roughly 1 pound mixed mushrooms, sliced (I used crimini, button, shitake and baby portobello)
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 10-ounce pack frozen (or fresh) spinach, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy or tamari sauce (optional)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- Combine all ingredients except for quinoa in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours; for the last hour, stir in quinoa. Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.