Vegan, refined sugar free/low sugar sweet potato cupcakes
These aren’t muffins made cupcakes courtesy of frosting, nor are they cupcakes masquerading as “healthy” muffins. They’re lightly fluffy and wholesome, and full of good things. They’re cupcakes so good they don’t need to be frosted; superb plain, topped with coconut cream, sprinkled lightly with a dusting of powdered sugar or finely grated coconut. Drizzled, or slathered, with some melted dark chocolate for a really special occasion.
I adapted these just a bit from this exceptionally awesome recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie. A few changes included: doubling the recipe (just because I wanted to make a whole bunch); swapping sweeteners for a touch of maple syrup; using a combination of coconut oil and unsweetened applesauce; and, including a splash of orange juice, which I blended with the sweet potatoes to make the puree, so the amount noted below is very close but still approximate. Did you know, when you puree sweet potato with some orange juice it comes out tasting like a creamsicle? It does. That may be in mostly in my head, but it’s still good enough to be worth testing.
You can cut back on the coconut oil even further, or even eliminate, but you’ll lose some fluffiness the more you do. Still good. Truly, I adore these. Want indisputable proof? Little Monkey gets to eat one for his birthday. 😉
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Optional: melted dark chocolate, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cupcake tin or line with cupcake liners, and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, sweet potato, orange juice. vanilla, oil, applesauce and vinegar. Let sit at least 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir very well. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly mixed.
- Pour evenly into cupcake tins, filling halfway.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until cupcakes have risen and are lightly golden. Let cool.
- Fudgy Vegan Tofu Frosting (and a bunch of cupcakes) | Fit-and-Frugal - […] potato cupcakes used this recipe from last year, only with 1 cup tapioca flour and 1 1/2 cup brown…