Chipotle lime walnut “tuna” salad with vegan (Just Mayo) mayonnaise
This mayo-less mayo stuff is really growing on me. While that may come across as less than flattering in comparison to the pop and wow of instant adoration, for me it’s a statement that says a lot. Because generally speaking, I just don’t like mayo.
Discovering Hampton Creek’s vegan Just Mayo was accidental, when I just couldn’t resist a bite of Dave’s Just Mayo topped beet burger at Whole Foods. And then I couldn’t resist just one bite more. Next thing, we were back in line with a bottle of Just Mayo in hand, and I was googling Hampton Creek. The more I learned about the company’s positive, sustainable ethos and exciting innovation, it began to dawn on me that maybe I don’t dislike mayo. I’m just particular about finding the right “mayo”.
One thing I am a big fan of, tuna-less “tuna” walnut salads like this gorgeous one from Happy Healthy Life. Here, I know I’m in good company. Vegan “tuna” salads like these offer such delicious surprise when first encountered, they’ve become fairly ubiquitous. Enough that I feel a little hesitant sharing my own variations; yet too fun and simple not to. Hope you enjoy tweaking this one, too. 🙂
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 1 ¾ cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 – 3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 – 3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 – 3 cup chopped carrots
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (or more to taste) Chipotle flavored Just Mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, walnuts, onion, pepper, and carrots. Pulse until finely chopped and combined. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir in mayo, lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve with toasted bread, on top of greens, or however you feel like. 😉