Zucchini Zoo 2: Summer Spaghetti
Turns out, my mammoth zucchini are almost too easy to deal with deliciously. I can almost say I'll really miss them, even. If only they didn't all burgeon up with such alarming suddenness, like a swell of fat swim noodles in a kiddie pool. In any case, I'll certainly miss the ease of scavenging the garden for sweetly sun-ripened dinner components when the season turns, all too soon. It's hard to believe we're already perched on the precipice awaiting fall, under the heady swelter of summer heat, but we are ... at least from the academic calendar perspective of the back-to-school whirlwind. But back to the zucchini--they've been so reliably compliant this year, adding everything from fragrance, moistness, texture, and obviously, taste, to whatever I throw them into. So I will, somewhat reluctantly, miss them after all.
This recipe may be a new favorite-- fresh, healthy, and simple. All you need, really, is 20 minutes, a food processor, and a skillet (apart from the ingredients, I mean). I suppose if I had fancier equipment or wanted to spend more time on prep, I could create lovely squash ribbons to complement the pasta, but I have no regrets keeping it easy. I'm calling this Summer Spaghetti, though I actually used some great organic spinach fettucini I found on sale. 'Spaghetti' just seemed to be the greater umbrella word for the universe of noodles.
After sauteeing the squash-carrot mixture lightly in a tiny bit of olive oil, toss in the cooked fettucini and a very light lemony pesto-style sauce. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan, and you're done. Perfect for summer ... we savor the satisfying simplicity while we can.
- 1 medium zucchini (or the majority of one of my monsters)
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup packed fresh basil
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup walnuts (or pine nuts, or almonds)
- 3/4 cup fresh grated parmesan
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions until al dente.
- While pasta cooks, shred zucchini, yellow squash and carrot in a food processor and set aside.
- Prepare sauce: in food processor or a blender, add basil, olive oil (setting aside approximately 1 teaspoon), lemon juice, broth, and nuts. Pulse until well combined.
- In a large skillet, heat reserved olive oil. Lightly saute carrot-squash mixture, a few minutes. Add pasta and basil sauce, and toss gently to combine with vegetables. Top with parmesan to serve.