Coconut flour summer harvest muffins (gluten-free, dairy-free)
It's been a week since my last post, and I'm still riding sentimental waves of heady nostalgia...because, my baby is turning three soon! So, rather than risking too much repetition that is bound to keep coming promise, I'll keep this short. Basically, just slap down a recipe, with a wee little note or two.
Yesterday, we went to the mountains, and spent a full morning exploring Estes Park at toddler pace. Little (Big now) Monkey proudly brandished binoculars ("nockle-ers"), trotting with cheerful, bubbly freedom along the pine-scented trail to Cub Lake. First weekend in August, and already little wispy glimpses of autumn were appearing, floating on the breezes, dancing and twirling in soft, small yellow shocks of leaves, echoing feelings churning inside my chest. So many special somethings coming to a close...but so much wonder in today, right now. And I do love fall.
Zucchini, yellow summer squash, carrots. These easy little packets of goodness can be thrown together quickly with pretty much whatever varying proportions of this sweet summer assortment is convenient. A tablespoon or two of pure maple syrup is lovely, but with a handful or so of raisins, you don't even need that. They're hearty but reminiscent of sponge-cake in the way only coconut flour can provide. Without just 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil and no added sugars, gluten or dairy, but with naturally sweetly delicious vegetables, they're a quick, portable power snack or breakfast-to-go. Besides that, they're easy to vary and play with. Have fun.
Summer harvest muffins Yield: 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive or liquid coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mix of shredded zucchini, yellow summer squash, and carrots (any amounts of each), tightly packed
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Prepare a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or baking cups.
- In a large bowl all ingredients through vanilla and whisk to smoothly combine. Stir in the shredded squash-carrot mix.
- Divide batter into muffin cups, filling approximately 3/4 of each cup.
- Bake 22-24 minutes, or until muffins are set in center.